Friday, 2 December 2016

Waxwings

The Waxwing, with it's punk-like 'hairdo', is a bird I had been wanting to see for a long time.  I missed the influx last time around.

I was on holiday in the north of Sutherland recently, at Tongue, and while walking through Borgie Forest, I spotted a flock of birds seemingly restless in a Scots Pine.  I trained my binoculars onto them and was amazed to see Waxwings!  The first birds of the winter had only been seen arriving in the UK the previous week, so it was great to see them.


Unfortunately, the weather wasn't the best, with constant drizzle.  I opted to take my wee compact digital camera with 3x zoom as it fits in my pocket, instead of my bulky bridge camera with 26x zoom.  Therefore, the photos and video I managed to get for my records are not award-winning, but something to remember the sighting.

It is always a great surprise to see a bird when you are not actually looking for it!


© Karen Hartnell - all images and text may not be reproduced in any way.

No comments: