Tuesday, 23 February 2016

Isle of Skye, November 2015 - Part 3

Wednesday 4th November

A picturesque sunrise, heralded good weather for the day. The Storr and Cuillins were cloud-free.  I sketched the Storr while my other half hiked up it.

Sunrise
The Storr, the Old Man is lurking behind the wisp of mist
My sketch of the Storr, done while sitting in the on-road parking area.
I had to leave it for a while as the mist came down hiding the view!
Cullins, and Storr Loch
The Storr and Old Man of Storr
Pinnacles and the Old Man
Tower at Uig
White-tailed Eagle overhead. Bridge camera wasn't quite quick enough!
Sheep in a pen near Duntelm Castle
Gaeilavore Island, with island of Harris in the distance
Thursday 5th November

Walked to the lochan, Loch Cuithir by Lealt.

Sheep enroute to Loch Cuithir
Panorama of Loch Cuithir and peaks along Trotternish ridge
View across to the mainland - Torridon, Gairloch, Assynt, etc
Peak of Sgurr a'Mhadaidh Ruadh standing out from the descending clouds
Road heading north towards Staffin

The afternoon gave me my first sighting of Dolphins on the west coast!  I was scanning the Sound in front of Rona with my scope, and picked out a large pod jumping through the water. They moved back and forth, probably feeding as I could also see a large number of Gannets diving. Fantastic to watch, and the Dolphins would occasionally break through the waves and leap high.

Friday's weather was wet and windy, but we did manage another walk down to Brother's Point and the seals popped up once again!  No pictures due to the weather.

A flock of Fieldfare flew past the house.

Another great week on the Isle of Skye.

© Karen Hartnell - all images and text may not be reproduced in any way.


No comments: