Thursday, 26 March 2015

Isle of Mull, March 2015 - Return to Eagle Island

Saturday 7th

A wild wet day didn't bode well for having to get a ferry across to the Isle of Mull. In fact, it was a year to the day that we nearly didn't make it home from Mull due to the same kind of weather!

We planned to travel across from Lochaline to Fishnish, as that ferry had more chance of running in that weather than the Oban one.  Thankfully, the smaller vessel that had been on the route beforehand, had been replaced that morning with the usual Loch Fyne.  We packed the car, set up my phone to receive any sailing notifications from CalMac and kept our fingers crossed!

The flooding in the glens and fields from Callendar through to Ballachulish was extensive.  At one point, it covered an area of the road and we were very lucky to get through when we did. It was later closed!

Flooding either side of the road by Loch Tulla (right of photo, which is usually
beyond the trees!
Waterfall on the Glencoe road, and some mad fool standing on it!
Water cascading down the Three Sisters
The Corran ferry was running ok.  While we were sat on it waiting for the off, Loch Linnhe below was making us roll about a little too much for my liking - memories of a very rough Isle of May crossing back in June were springing to mind!

Thankfully, once we got moving, the up-and-down motion eased.  One ferry down, one to go.

Arriving at Lochaline, the Loch Fyne was moored.  We drove on around 2pm to be told the previous sailing hadn't left and they would be reviewing the situation at 2.45pm - wild squalls across the Sound.  An anxious 45 minute wait later, and the engines started... but we were not out of the woods yet. Would it make it all the way across to Fishnish? Over half way, and the point of (hopefully) no return, tickets were bought, and I counted down the metres on the SatNav until dry land.

We finally breathed a sigh of relief as the ramp came down and we drove onto terra firma once again.

"Hello Mull!"

Read more about my week on Mull:

Part Two
Part ThreeWeather Extremes
Part Four - coming soon
Part Five - coming soon

© Karen Hartnell - all images and text may not be reproduced in any way.

No comments: