Friday, 11 April 2014

Great Tits: Nest Box Antics 2013

I've missed blogging over the last year but I'm trying to make an effort to do more posting now.  While I wait to see if the Great Tits have nested successfully in the nest box this year, I thought I would post up the photos from last summer.

It was the first year I had a nest box in the garden, and was very excited to see Mr and Mrs Great Tit move in.  The chicks hatched around mid-May and the first couple fledged on my birthday of all days!  The final chick left the following day.  I think there were only three chicks.  They hid away for the first couple of weeks and then they were always in the garden, and at the feeders.  Lovely to watch them.

It was also a time when I saw some interesting behaviour. The adult male spent ages at the nest box hole staring in on the first night the  young had fledged (see video below for footage).  I also saw him on the feeder and he went completely still for ages.  A short while later a Sparrowhawk flashed past the garden.

You can view a compilation video that I took of the Great Tits on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYLfNwWn7I

Photos of the adults keeping busy with food and removing faecal sacs.










The little 'uns emerge, although one wasn't so sure!




Finally, after a couple of weeks since fledging, the youngsters started to appear at the feeders.



Having a bath!

© Karen Hartnell - all images and text may not be reproduced in any way. 

No comments: