Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Common Crane, East Lothian

It's always a good thing when a planned walk turns up an unexpected sighting!  Saturday was such a day, when my other half had planned a walk for us along part of the John Muir Way from Dunbar. 
   
It was a bit of a coincidence, given that just the day before I had been looking at the Birding Lothian website and read about a Common Crane being sighted. I didn't realise it was at the very place we were walking until I noticed several birders with their scopes and binoculars trained upon a ploughed field and then spotted it for myself. 


I also spotted one of my regular south coast 'ticks', a Little Egret. There's a large breeding colony near where I grew up, but this was the first I had seen in Scotland.

On the way home we stopped to get a view of the currently gannet-free Bass Rock, and upon scanning the very calm Forth, I saw an Otter!

© All photos and text are copyright and may not be reproduced in any way.

1 comment:

Alan Pavey said...

That was a well planned walk, excellent :-)