Thursday, 5 July 2012

White-Tailed Eagles on Mull

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? It's actually both!
White-Tailed Eagle and plane spotted high above Loch na Keal
I finally made it to the Isle of Mull in early June, spending a night camping on the island.

I was very happy to spot my first White-Tailed Eagle within an hour of arriving on Mull, whilst putting the tent up!  It was soaring above the distant hillside.

I managed to watch a pair of eagles from the tent, which was fantastic.  The female was tagged with a yellow wing tag with a black spot on it.  She is known as 'Yellow Black Spot' (YBS for short).

I hope to get back to Mull again soon and spend longer there.  I got a lot of artistic inspiration watching the eagles and can't wait to paint them.  You can see my White-Tailed Eagle artwork on my website  www.karen-hartnell.co.uk

These photos of YBS and her mate were taken by my other half, and images have been cropped so you can see the eagles better.


 

© All photos and text are copyright and may not be reproduced in any way.

2 comments:

Frank said...

I can fully appreciate your excitement at seeing this species Karen. White-tailed is still on my 'to see' list.

Karen the Artist said...

Thanks Frank - I never fail to get excited when I see one, they are amazing to watch. Hopefully I will get some good sightings of this year's (last) release of east Scotland WTE chicks once they are out and about in a few months.