Tuesday, 31 August 2010

My First White-Tailed Sea Eagle!

At last I have seen my first sea eagle!

I was standing by my back door, chatting to a friend on the phone, when I heard a crow making a lot of noise outside - my friend heard it from her end of the phone too! I looked out and saw it following a large bird, flying behind the trees at the back of my garden. I was giving my friend a running commentary at the same time.

I thought it looked too big to be a buzzard, heron briefly sprang to mind as we have a lot flying around here but it didn't match the usual profile. But then as the two birds flew into clear view I knew exactly what was being chased by the crow - a juvenille white-tailed sea eagle! It wasn't flying very high, just above the trees, so I got a good view of its colouring as it turned left, and the huge wingspan. There was no mistaking it. The view was but a brief one as it went back behind the trees again and flew away.

I ran to get the camera just in case, so I will be on eagle watch now!
I'm sure it must have been one of the birds recently released in Fife.

I thought my first sighting would be on Skye or around the north west coast, but not whilst standing in my own back garden - to say I'm happy would be an understatement!

So my first otters and sea eagle this month, not a bad way to end August...



Update 6 Sept: I have received a reply from the RSPB Sea Eagle Officer who thinks that the eagle I saw was the male "Yellow Z". He was around Loch Leven on 30/31st Aug. He's was reported nearby again at the weekend, so I will keep my eyes peeled for him!

No comments: